Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Jupiter Divorce Lawyer > Jupiter Name Change Lawyer

Jupiter Name Change Lawyer

Although not legally required, many couples who get divorced decide to go back to using the name they went by before they got married. There are a couple of ways to do this, one of which is through the divorce proceedings themselves. If you are considering divorce and are interested in changing your name, consider speaking with an experienced Jupiter name change lawyer about your options.

Changing Your Name During Divorce

It is possible to have one’s maiden name restored as a part of a divorce decree. Those who go this route will need to take a few steps, including officially requesting the change, either in the divorce petition, or in a counter-petition. Once a name change has been approved as part of a divorce, the petitioner will need to:

  • Obtain certified copies of the final judgment, which will need to be presented when attempting to change the person’s name on a Social Security Card or driver’s license;
  • Update his or her Social Security Card, either in person or by mail;
  • Change his or her Florida driver’s license or ID card within ten days; and
  • Change his or her name on bank accounts, retirement accounts, cell phone contracts, and insurance policies.

It’s also important to note that in these cases, courts are only allowed to change a person’s name back to the name he or she used immediately prior to the marriage. Those who want to change their name to something else will need to step outside of the divorce process.

Changing Your Name After Divorce

If, during your divorce, a party didn’t ask the court to change his or her name, but only decided to do so at a later date, then he or she will need to file a new petition for a name change. The court will eventually schedule a hearing and conduct a background check on the petitioner to determine whether there is a reason to deny the request. If approved, the court will issue a Final Judgment, allowing for the legal change of the petitioner’s name. Generally, a judge will only deny such a request if there is evidence that the change is being used to evade immigration laws or to perpetrate fraud. If the change is granted, the couple’s divorce decree won’t be enough for proof of a legal name change. Instead, the petitioner will need to obtain a copy of the separate court order to show to the Social Security Administration and Florida Department of Motor Vehicles.

Contact Caroline Olson, P.A. for Help with Your Legal Name Change

If you are going through a divorce and are thinking about changing your name, you’ll need to take steps right away. To learn more about your options going forward, including whether you should attempt to change your name as part of your divorce proceedings, or should file afterwards, call Jupiter name change lawyer Caroline Olson, P.A. today. Initial consultations are offered free of charge, so don’t hesitate to call us at 561-288-0548, or to contact us online.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Complimentary Case Evaluation 561-288-0548
protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms
The Jupiter Business Center

601 Heritage Drive, Suite 452
Jupiter, Florida 33458

Get Directions
Boca Raton
The Millennium Building

6501 Congress Ave., Suite 100
Boca Raton, Florida 33487

Get Directions
Plantation Office

8551 W Sunrise Blvd., Suite 208
Plantation, FL 33322

Get Directions